About the Program
4 weeks | 20 students | September 25 - October 25, 2017
A second 6-week phase of training will provide an opportunity for 6 graduates of the first round to develop advanced skills. Working with professional technologists, youth will prototype applications for their neighborhoods that leverage the power of the Gigabit environment and encourage collaboration, problem solving, and creativity among neighbors. Youth who participate in this 2nd phase will earn a laptop so they can continue to use their newfound skills, along with marketable skills which will set them on a path to obtaining or creating jobs in the growing tech industry.
- Students will connect their passion for technology with community needs, using coding language to create collective, innovative solutions.
- Students will learn fundamental web development logic and concepts to be implemented in the design of a functioning web app.
- Students will explore and increase awareness of available career options in the tech field.
- Students will understand how the skills they have gained can be expanded through exploration and self-guided learning.
Skills Students Will Learn
- Pulling, committing, and pushing to GitHub repositories
- Proficiently navigating a computer and utilizing the programs, and shortcuts to speed up development time
- Logic skills to solve programming problems
- Problem-solving skills such as breaking problems into manageable parts
- Ability to use Github for version control and collaboration
- Ability to identify what needs are present in their community and how they can address them through app development